Saturday, June 26, 2010

Fortress Week 2

Week 2 Fortress

This week we learned about Peace. We taught the children how we were nice to our friends and we did not fight. Here are some stories from this week…

Monday I went out to play hide-n-seek (this is becoming a daily thing but it is so cute and I love it) they are all hiding (well not really well because they are three) and I go looking for them. I walk outside and I hear them all in this one little plastic playhouse. I know that is where they are but Jack (has a bat in his hand and is standing in front of the door to the house) looks up at me and says “They gone.” It was so funny and really cute. I find them all in the house after looking everywhere else and Mack jumps out the window of the house. It is really funny to watch them all play.

Last week we learned about Joy and we told them that Joy meant really happy. Avery was doing a puzzle where you match opposite things together to make one piece and while she was doing that, she found a piece that said happy. She ran up to me and said teacher look we learned about this last week. It was really sweet.

By Wednesday, all the kids have gotten to know us really well. They are very hands on and want to sit in our laps when we are on the rug (it is a big rug that we do circle time on). It is kind of sweet but after awhile you get tired of little kids wanting to have their hands all over you. And if you know me really well I am not big on the whole touchy feely thing. I mean I like it every once in awhile but not all the time. I guess I am going to get out of my comfort zone this summer. :D It won’t be a bad thing.

This week with Urban, we went on a tour of the Presbyterian Night Shelter (PNS). That was amazing and very eye opening. It is a night shelter that takes is about 700 homeless people every night. They have a big building for men and woman with one side being men and the other side being women. We went upstairs and when you are up there, you can see down on all of the mats. As we are looking at this I was reminded of the invisible children DVD when it shows all of the kids sleeping side by side in a small room. That is what this felt like. There weren’t a lot of people there when we were but it was just rows and rows of mats maybe two inches from each other. That is a lot of people in one place but I think it is a good thing. I have driven down Lancaster (the street where most of Fort Worth’s homeless population lives) at night and there are still a ton of people on the street. If the PNS is taking in 700 people imagine how many more are still on the streets. It breaks my heart.

I hate to say this but Fort Worth is growing on me and it is becoming more and more a place where I would want to live. I really want to do some type of work with low income or poor families or just people and there is a lot of that in Fort Worth.

Well that is my week. It was a great one. I really love the kids I work with. They are all so sweet. Oh I almost forgot I have a new name. Anne doesn’t call me Miss Heather she calls me Miss Feather. It is kind of cute and if you know any of the new 7th grade girls at Highland they all call me Heather Feather Bird Duck Flamingo. Yes that is all one name. It is just funny that Anne calls me Feather. I kind of like it. :D

No comments: